Experience the wonders of the Gobi. Visit the most famous sites there including magnificent Khongor sand dunes which are renowned for their singing noises when the wind blows; Yol valley, a narrow canyon that has rich vegetation and ice during hot summer days; Bayanzag or the Flaming Cliffs where you would enjoy spectacular sunsets. A short trip to Terelj National Park near Ulaanbaatar will give you an idea about the contrast of geographical zones of Mongolia.
Khongor sand dunes, Yol valley, Flaming cliffs
Ulaanbaatar – South Gobi – Ulaanbaatar
- Day 1 - Ulaanbaatar
Your guide and the driver will meet you and assist you at the airport or train station. Transfer to the hotel in a private vehicle. Check-in and enjoy free time until lunch. After lunch, take a tour of the city, visit the National History Museum, and walk along the Sukhbaatar Square. Enjoy the colourful traditional folk songs and dance performance. Throat singing and contortion are the highlights of the show. Have dinner and overnight at selected hotel.
- Day 2 - South Gobi / Flaming Cliffs, Bayanzag
Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer to the airport for a short (approx. 1½ hours) flight to the Gobi region. Meet your local driver and head towards the Flaming Cliffs (100 km). Explore the site of the first paleontological discoveries in Mongolia by following the footsteps of Roy Chapman Andrews, an American explorer, adventurer and naturalist, the inspiration for the movie character “Indiana Jones.” Visit Bayanzag “forest” rich in saxaul trees of Gobi. Dinner and overnight stay in a luxury ger camp.
- Day 3 - South Gobi / Khongor Els Sand Dunes
After breakfast, leave for the Khongor Els Sand Dunes, the largest and most spectacular sand dunes of Mongolia stretching for more than 100 km at the foot of the Gurvan Saikhan mountain range. Have lunch upon arrival. Visit a local family of camel breeders in the afternoon and explore the sand dunes on camel back. Have dinner and spend the night at the Gobi-Erdene ger camp.
- Day 4 - South Gobi / Yolyn Am Gorge
Breakfast at the ger camp. Drive along the Khongor Els sand dunes and Gurvan Saikhan mountain range through spectacular Gobi terrain. Enjoy lunch at Khanbogd ger camp and drive into the Gurvan Saikhan national park to embark on an excursion into the Yolyn Am gorge. The excursion involves hiking and plenty of opportunities to photograph the stunning landscape. Drive to Dalanzadgad, center of the South Gobi province, have dinner and stay at the Khan Uul hotel.
- Day 5 - Ulaanbaatar
After early breakfast at the hotel, drive to the airport for a flight back to Ulaanbaatar. Upon arrival, enjoy lunch at the southern part of the city. Visit the Zaisan Hill memorial on the way to your hotel and see the city from above. Dinner in the evening at the Monet restaurant with a view of the main square and the city at night.
- Day 6 - Departure
Breakfast at the hotel and transfer to the airport or train station for departure.
Tour available dates
2023-06-01 - 2023-08-31
2024-06-01 - 2024-08-31
$2829 / per pax
$1993 / per pax
$1620 / per pax
4 -7 People
$1419 / per pax
8 -11 People
$1269 / per pax
- Transfers upon arrival and departure
- English speaking guide at all times.
- In the countryside all lodging will be in ger camps.
- All meals are provided as stated in the itinerary.
- Ground transportation: in the countryside by a chauffeur driven 4WD jeep, bus in the city area.
- Park entrance fees
- Sightseeing as per itinerary
- 1 liter of drinking water per day per person
Package price DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Accommodation in a hotel or hostel in Ulaanbaatar
- Hotel extras, such as telephone calls, bar bills and laundry services
- Travel insurance, medical insurance
- Visa application fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses such as IDD call, internet, laundry, items of a personal nature
- Gratuity to local guides and drivers
- Airfare or train ticket
- Airport taxes, excess baggage charges (over 44pound / 20kilo)
- Changes of arrival/departure flights
- Additional services
- Any charges of major force beyond our control (e.g. imposition, quarantine restrictions, etc...)
- Optional excursions unless stated in your itinerary, etc…
This is a suggested packing list, which you should feel free to adjust to suit your needs. Please refer to our travel guide for more detailed information.
- backpack or soft bag
- waterproof bag cover
- day pack
- head lamp/flashlight
- spare batteries/bulb
- personal medications
- waterproof hiking boots
- waterproof jacket with hood
- waterproof over pants
- fleece jacket or wool jumper
- cotton t-shirts
- long sleeve shirts
- lightweight trousers
- sun hat
- sun glasses
- sun cream
- insect repellent
- resealing (Ziploc) plastic bags
- watch/ alarm clock
- money belt/ pouch
- insurance confirmation copy
- emergency contact number