World Energy Center by train
Dornogobi (Eastern Gobi) province located in the southeast of the country and bordering with PRC, is part of the Gobi desert belt. Sand dunes Burden Gashuun, Tsagaan Els and Tavan Tolgoi stretch along the borders of the province.
Dornogobi has mineral springs, such as those at Khalzan Uul, near Choir city. The fauna of Dornogobi includes argali, ibex, wild ass, black-tailed gazelle, white gazelle, and lynx. Dornogobi has a population of over 50,000 inhabitants.
Sainshand, the center of Dornogobi, located 470kms from Ulaanbaatar, is on the Trans-Mongolian railway line. The main attraction of the region is Khamriin Khiid Monastery, founded by the famous saint and poet of the 19th century Danzanravjaa, however, it was mostly destroyed during the 1930s. Today, the new monastery with two temples is re-opened. Near the caves where Danzanravjaa and his disciples meditated, there are 9 stupas built to commemorate him. Dinosaur bones and fossils have also been found in the area.
Sainshand, Khamar monastery, train trip
Ulaanbaatar – Khustai National Park - Ulaanbaatar
- Day 1 - Ulaanbaatar
Sainshand, Dornogobi province Train to Gobi. Go to the train station, departing 9:30 or 16:30 to Sainshand of Dornogobi province
- Day 2 - Dornogobi province
Nature tour, Camel trek “Exploring Gobi on Camel “Arrive at Sainshand and move into a Ger camp. Visit a nomadic family in Gobi. After a brief introduction on camel riding start the camel expedition to explore sites of rare paleontological finds, varied landscapes and sand dunes. Boxed lunch in the shadow of camels. Dinner and overnight in camp. (You may even have the unique chance to make your wish gazing at stars falling from the Gobi sky).
- Day 3 - Dornogobi province
Cultural tour „Heritage of Noble Saint Danzanravjaa“. Visit the caves where Buddhist monks used to meditate for 108 consecutive days. Drive to holy land Shambala (eight different types of stupas). Attend a religious ceremony at the historic Khamriin Khiid monastery. After lunch head back to Sainshand, visit the Museum of Danzanravjaa. Departure to Ulaanbaatar on train.
- Day 4 - Ulaanbaatar
Arrival at the train station, transfer to the hotel.
Tour available dates
2023-05-20 - 2023-09-15
2024-05-20 - 2024-09-15
$838 / per pax
$544 / per pax
$412 / per pax
4 -7 People
$375 / per pax
8 -11 People
$290 / per pax
- Accommodation in a hotel or hostel in Ulaanbaatar
- Hotel extras, such as telephone calls, bar bills and laundry services
- Travel insurance, medical insurance
- Visa application fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses such as IDD call, internet, laundry, items of a personal nature
- Gratuity to local guides and drivers
- Airfare or train ticket
- Airport taxes, excess baggage charges (over 44pound / 20kilo)
- Changes of arrival/departure flights
- Additional services
- Any charges of major force beyond our control (e.g. imposition, quarantine restrictions, etc...)
- excursion as per itinerary
- full board meals
- Ger camp accommodation
- entrance fees to monasteries and national parks
- Dornogobi RT train tickets (in compartment with 4 berth)
- guide service and all transfers
This is a suggested packing list, which you should feel free to adjust to suit your needs. Please refer to our travel guide for more detailed information. • Smart and casual clubbing clothes • Rain coat or warm coat depending on the weather