Events & Naadam
Lunar New Year – A Feast of Hospitality
Mongolian Lunar Calendar Near Year is like what Christmas for Westerners. Festival during which the young show respect to the elders and family members get to know each other.
Ulaanbaatar-Mongolian Secret History Complex-Ulaanbaatar
4 nights / 5 days
Mongolian Secret History complex, Winter time Mongolia
Lunar Calendar New Year or Tsagaan Sar (white moon) as Mongols call it, is the biggest event on the festival calendar for Mongols. The preparation involves thorough cleaning the house, settling of old debts and grudges, preparation of vast amount of traditional Mongolian food. It is a family celebration where younger family members visit and greet the elderly family members and a chance for extended family get to meet one another and get to know each other. Mongols wear their best and new traditional costumes and wish the year ahead turns out auspicious and healthy for them.
- Day 1. Feb 25 (Sat)
- Day 2. Feb 26 (Sun) Mongolian Secret History Complex–Lunar New Year’s Eve. (B/L/D)
- Day3. Feb 27 (Mon) Mongolian Secret History Complex–Lunar New Year’s Day. (B/L/D)
- Day 4. Feb 28 (Tue) Mongolian Secret History Complex. (B)
- Day 5. Mar 01 (Wed) Departure. (B)
Day 1. Feb 25 (Sat) Ulaanbaatar
Arrival in Ulaanbaatar. You will be welcomed by your guide and transferred to a hotel. Optional half and full day tours are available. Overnight stay in the hotel.
Day 2. Feb 26(Sun) Mongolian Secret History Complex – Mongolian Lunar New Year’s Eve
Pick up from your hotel and drive to Mongolian Secret History Complex. After a light lunch, enjoy a short rest while visiting a Ger library to learn about Mongolian traditional literatures and to listen about Mongolian shamanism. Visit the hut and the statue of Tiv Tenger Shaman who was one of the advisers of Chinggis Khaan followed by tasting traditional Mongolian vodka made from milk. Traditional art performances and Mongolian Traditional Costume Fashion Show. Play the traditional sheep anklebone games and take part in a competition. In the evening visit a herder’s family. Guests can participate in cooking New Year’s Eve food, “Buuz” and “Bansh” and will become a member of the family in the customs of celebrating the New Year’s Eve. (L/D)
Day3. Feb 27 (Mon) Mongolian Secret History Complex – Mongolian Lunar New Year’s Day
Guests will be participating in the customs to make the patterns of the New Year and visiting a herder’s family in order to perform the customs of the traditional Mongolian New Year greetings. Take photos with the costumes of ancient kings and queens and learn Mongolian traditional dance. Watch a documentary about the Mongolian ways of living and culture. Later in the day enjoy a short horse riding trip. Overnight stay at the camp. (B/L/D)[single_line_divider]
Day 4. Feb 28 (Tue) Mongolian Secret History Complex
After breakfast drive back to Ulaanbaatar. Check into a hotel and enjoy a free day. (B)
Day 5. Mar 01 (Wed) Departure
Breakfast at the hotel/ hostel and transfer to the airport for international departure.
Tour available dates:
06th of February – 10th of February/ 2016
Package price does not include accommodations in Ulaanbaatar
From 468 USD per person
Single Supplement in Ger camp
Single occupancy in ger camps: 40 USD per person
- Transfers upon arrival and departure
- English speaking guide at all times.
- In the countryside all lodging will be in ger camps.
- All meals are provided as stated in the itinerary.
- Ground transportation: in the countryside by a chauffeur driven 4WD jeep, bus in the city area.
- Park entrance fees
- Sightseeing as per itinerary
- 1 liter of drinking water per day per person
- Accommodation in a hotel or hostel in Ulaanbaatar
- Hotel extras, such as telephone calls, bar bills and laundry services
- Travel insurance, medical insurance
- Visa application fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses such as IDD call, internet, laundry, items of a personal nature
- Gratuity to local guides and drivers
- Airfare or train ticket
- Airport taxes, excess baggage charges (over 44pound / 20kilo)
- Changes of arrival/departure flights
- Additional services
- Any charges of major force beyond our control (e.g. imposition, quarantine restrictions, etc...)
- Optional excursions unless stated in your itinerary, etc…
This is a suggested packing list, which you should feel free to adjust to suit your needs. Please refer to our travel guide for more detailed information.
- backpack or soft bag
- spare batteries/bulb
- personal medications
- winter coat
- winter boots
- fleece jacket or wool jumper
- cotton t-shirts
- long sleeve shirts
- winter long johns
- winter socks
- sun glasses
- resealing (Ziploc) plastic bags
- watch/ alarm clock
- money belt/ pouch
- insurance confirmation copy
- emergency contact number
- winter mittens
- winter woolly hat